[AG-TECH] Problems using webcam?

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 9 09:16:51 CDT 2004

Doug,

Here's what I get when running vic alone.  Once vic is running I go to the
menu and click transmit.  Any ideas?

Michael

resource device Vic
resource enableBVC Vic
resource smallfont Vic
resource defaultPort(v4l- Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 /dev/video0) Vic
resource smallfont Vic
resource contrast Vic
resource brightness Vic
resource hue Vic
resource saturation Vic
resource quality Vic
resource transmitOnStartup Vic
Got grid width 3
resource ag_enable_window_grid Vic
enable=
Did not find monitor list
Using monitor list {0 0 1024 768 main 0}
have monitor 'idx=0' '0 0 1024 768 main 0'
v4l: mmap()'ed buffer size = 0xe1000
Got pict, palette=15
ioctl VIDIOCSPICT: Invalid argument
Got pict again, palette=15
ioctl VIDIOCMCAPTURE even: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOCMCAPTURE odd: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOMCAPTURE: Invalid argument
resource relateInterface Vic
resource smallfont Vic
resource background Vic
resource smallfont Vic

At 03:28 AM 8/9/2004, Douglas Kosovic wrote:
>Hi Michael,
>
> > So I finally got the Fedora 2 kernel upgraded and the pwc module is
> > loaded.  I went and got Doug's updated vic from the tar file and put it in
> > /home/mimiller/.AccessGrid/local_services/VideoProducerService
>
>That's the correct location, unless you are using VideoService instead.
>
>The new Fedora AGTk 2.3 beta 1 RPMs contain versions of vic which
>incorporate the patch.
>
> > I moved the old one out of the way of course.
> >
> > However, I still get the green screen from the QuickCam.  Did I put the
>new
> > vic in the wrong place?
>
>You could try running vic directly from the command-line, e.g:
>   cd ~/.AccessGrid/local_services/VideoProducerService
>   ./vic 234.5.6.7/18000
>
>Click the menu button, then click transmit and then see if there are any
>useful diagnostic messages being printed out.
>
>You might also want to have a look at /var/log/messages and see if there are
>any hints there as to what could be going wrong.
>
>Perhaps your webcam doesn't support either YUV422P or YUV420P pixel formats
>for capture that vic requires.
>

>Cheers,
>Doug

Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Visualization Technology Support
Computing and Data Management
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with
clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything
desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even
more." -Paul Debevec