[AG-TECH] room node certificates

S.Booth spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 10:32:44 CDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

> Right, in fact we have a headless video sender that we're working on
> packaging up already, based on OpenMASH.  For audio, rat does have this
> separation as you noted, and we're working on SWIG'ing UCL's libcommon
> (which has an mbus component -- mbus is the protocol used to between the rat
> ui and the rat media engine). We'd like to have that swig'ing done because
> then we could also write python rtp/rtcp monitors for things (common also
> has a very nice rtp/rtcp implementation). That being said, rat isn't the
> only part of audio control we need to address, we need to address the genter
> (or other echo-cancel hardware) so that it can be adjusted. I remember
> someone did some perl based code for the gentner at one point, but I've lost
> the pointer to it. We're looking at a pySerial based controller for the
> gentner so we can make that a service as well.

Good point. However I hardly ever kick up the gentner tool myself but we
have a relatively small AG room that uses fixed ceiling microphones so
nothing needs adjusting unless you are using the phone bridge.
On the rare occasions I need it I run the SW on the display node, I know a
number of other people that do this as well.

> > So what we need are separate services for audio capture and
> > audio control so we can run the gui on the display machine
> > even if there is a separate audio machine in the node.
>
> Given the services we described above, the last bit (that I think you're
> referring to here) is having some GUI controls -- we've been thinking of
> this two ways, configuration stuff (more static) is done via node
> management, interactive adjustments we're guessing happen via something
> we're calling the operators panel (no we don't have it yet :-). The
> operators panel should be able to be pointed at the local (or a remote) node
> -- eventually, so that it might be possible for one node operator to manage
> a set of nodes...we'll see...

I was assuming that using the current RAT gui on the display machine was
the simplest software change but an operators panel sounds nice.

If we are planning on doing work on the base RTP/RTCP tools used in AG2
One of the things I have wanted for a long time is to add some kind of
visual hint like a red border to tell you which windows are from the site
that is actually speaking. It can get really confusing at large multi-site
meetings.

I did look into this for AG1 but gave up when I realised that with
multi-machine AG nodes you could not rely on the RTCP CNAMEs to identify a
site. Maybe we should add certificate name to the RTCP information for
just this kind of trick.

			Stephen

|epcc| Dr Stephen P Booth             Project Manager           |epcc|
|epcc| s.booth at epcc.ed.ac.uk          Phone 0131 650 5746       |epcc|