[AG-TECH] AG2.1.1 and RH 9 no audio or incoming video

Adrian Wells Adrian_Wells at umit.maine.edu
Mon Sep 8 18:58:53 CDT 2003

Hello.  I am trying to setup a one machine node using AG2.1.1 and Redhat Linux 9.0.  There were no problems installing the AG2.1.1 software and getting the certificates setup.  However, after launching VenueClient.py --personalNode and connecting to
a VenueServer there is no audio, not even options adjust audio (I assume I should see some RAT windows or something - based on what I've read).  In addition, it seems possible to send video but receiving it does not seem possible as there is always
a message stating "Waiting for video..." when I've entered into the Access Grid Lobby. This also happens when running VenueClient.py with AGNodeService.py and AGServiceManager.py (instead of running the VenueClient with the personal node option).

The ALSA 0.9.6 sound drivers and related components are installed.  The two Hauppauge video capture cards work (can capture video within X).  Sound works great in X and everything appears to be setup as far as the machine is going but there seems to
be something improperly configured or just 'not catching'.

I have run AGServiceManager.py on the machine and see there is a /tmp/local_services directory with the correct permissions set for the AccessGrid user and it appears to have a number of files in it related to the audio and video services
(AudioService.py VideoConsumerService.py and VideoProducerService.py).  In addition, I have setup these services through the Preferences/Manage My Node settings and added all the appropriate services (all of them) for the one machine.

Does anyone have any help or suggestion as to how I might go about solving this problem.  I've been at this for a number of weeks reading through archived mailing lists, googling, etc.  Does anyone have AG2.1.1 working as a single node within some
distribution of linux?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
-Adrian