[AG-TECH] LINUX vs Windows as a AG node Display system

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at nsf.gov
Mon Sep 8 07:15:14 CDT 2003

Do people on the list have opinions on LINUX vs Windows as a Display
system? When AG 1.x came out, linux did not really have that good
multi-monitor support. Now that XFree86 has come a ways, I was wondering
what people's experience has been with using LINUX as a Display system?
I am bit tired of fighting Windows monitor and device drivers for
multi-monitor displays (especially when the displays have different
resolutions). It seems Windows has a mind of it's own often changing
screen placement/order without the user doing anything (mainly in
between boots). Other issues include icons/task-bar migrating to
different screens when I don't want them to! I'm thinking one advantage
of LINUX would be having a set in stone config for XFree86 so that
NOTHING changes.

any comments on difficulties going this route would be welcome!

Note: I have run AG on a single system LINUX box, purely for testing...

-Doug
CISE/NSF