[AG-TECH] its friday.........and we failed.....

Richard Naylor richard.naylor at citylink.co.nz
Thu Oct 30 20:54:02 CST 2003

folks

being friday and close to "beer o'clock" I thought I'd share what we've
almost achieved this afternoon and also solicit some help.

One of the projects here at CityLink is CafeNet (www.cafenet.co.nz). If you
know what wifi hot spots are, well Cafenet is a City wide hot spot. yes we
have hundreds of wireless access points around the city with a central
authentication/billing engine and linked with our fiber network. You can
roam with your ipaq, laptop etc or just stop (almost) anywhere and get a
decent net connection. Its based on 802.11g 54mbps wireless. (and those
nice Cisco wireless phones are cool - they work well as you walk around the
city. VoIP over WIFI)

Well Carl, who I work with is the project engineer and uses VPN technology
to access the office from around the city. So - we decided to install
ATGK-2.1.2 onto his laptop. Since we don't have certs yet we also installed
the mbone tools (SDR, vic and rat) to test the concept. but failed.
Somewhere something is blocking the multi cast. I'm about to go confess to
the VPN/IT guys what we've been doing and see if theres a fix.

But think about it, we get 30-50mbps most places, so you could join in an
AG session from your local cafe, or your car while driving along (wifi does
hand over between APs nicely). We're also in the public library,
Parliament, National Library, national museum etc, so it means an AG can be
mobile. think about it.......

Now where I need help is that of the 4 AG set ups, rat only seems to work
on 2. All machines are winXP and rat seems to start, but there is no gui
window (it appears in the task list). this is the same for both the AG rat
and the mbone tools rat. Any ideas ?

tks - rich