[AG-TECH] Venue Servers This morning

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 20:34:17 CST 2003

At 10:14 24/10/2003 -0500, Ivan R. Judson wrote:
>As a result of this power outtage we are taking steps to put all of our
>venue servers on our UPS infrastructure.
>
>This should reduce the liklihood of problems in the future.

Longer term, would it be better to design a venue-server mesh or tree, similar to the DNS? (though much smaller, much more secure :-) ) Currently I can see problems with

 - a single-ish point of failure, and

 - venues being placed behind multiple (regional) venue servers, and people going to the wrong one.

Regional/semi-private venue servers are out there ;-) (including v2)

If venue servers were configured to talk to each other (some protocol like http) and share configurations, one could have a complete overview of (public or even private/authenticated) venues available around the globe. Plus you'd get a mechanism for failover, if the venue client could cache a set of known servers.

Just my two bits worth :-)

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Project,      | Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 - CS&IT |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Aust.|Mob: 0417 281429