[AG-TECH] Echo question - need 3 sites?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 20 13:42:44 CDT 2003

you don't even need a loop.

Consider two nodes and their audio pathways:

Mic 1	 ------> [agnode 1] ----> [network] -----> [agnode2] ----> Spkr2

Spkr 1	 <------ [agnode 1] <---- [network] <----- [agnode2] <---- Mic2

If Mic2 is picking up audio from Spkr2 and sending it to the network, site
2 will be generating echo from site 1 on the Mic1->network->Spkr2->[via
air]->Mic2->network->Spkr1 path.

This precisely defines the job of the EC hardware:  since Mic2 most likely
*will* pick up audio from Spkr2, the EC gear must stop that audio from
being transmitted to teh network.

If there were more than two nodes, you can rewrite the above picture with
site3, site4, etc in place of site 1, and see how one faulty site can
generate echo that everyone hears. (since everyone will hear both the
input from mic1 and the echoed and time-delayed sound of mic1 as picked up
by mic2).

--bob