[AG-TECH] Ports and other unexplainables

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Oct 7 15:42:34 CDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:17:42PM -0400, Victor M. Babson, Jr. wrote:
> Okay, so nobody, and I mean NOBODY responded about the port question I posted
> a while back. But I thought I would see if this might get anyone's attention.

Don't really have a good answer to this one, except that ethereal can be your
friend...

> I have AG 2.1.1 on a Windows XP laptop.  600 MHz 228 RAM.  Things were
> working fine and dandy, but now, neither RAT or VIC pops up when I connect to
> any venue.  I've tried using unicast.  I've tried unchecking the 'use video'
> and 'use audio' options, and then rechecking them (which works on other boxes
> when they start acting up -- but am I the only one who has seen stuff like
> this?  Are you guys seeing it and finding it acceptable?)

Are you seeing anything in any of the log files?  Can you start vic and rat
manually from the command line?

> I've also seen that I have to start AGServiceManager.py BEFORE starting the
> VenueClient in order to make sure my video "feeds".  Is anyone else seeing
> this?

This is quite correct, and the way it works.  If everything is on a single
machine, starting VenueClient with --personalNode (which the windows shortcut
should already have) should start all subprocesses including AGServiceManager
in the correct order.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer