[AG-TECH] Alpha release of Linux1394/Firewire camera driver for Vic

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 22:21:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

We're pleased to announce an initial testing release of a Linux
Firewire/IEEE1394 camera driver for Vic.  This release is intended as a
call for testing by interested parties.  The driver and more information
is available from:

    http://www.ap-accessgrid.org/linux/vic-1394/

This driver is currently in an alpha state. We have tested this on
exactly one FireWire card and one (cheap) webcam. As such we have no
idea what this driver may or may-not do to your system. Certain things
are known not to work, and certain formats and codecs are not supported.
The purpose of this release is primarily to enable testing on other
cameras and to gauge interest in this project.

Please note that this driver covers the FireWire/1394 Digital Camera
specifiation, i.e. FireWire webcams and (possibly) digital (photography)
cameras. It does *not* include Digital Video devices, such as
camcorders/handycams. This is a different format what will require a
different driver; we may consider developing this if there is sufficient
interest.

Please send feedback and bug-reports to me.

Cheers,
Steve
--
Steve Smith, SysAdmin/Programmer  | "When you have no nails your hammer grows
Vislab, University of Sydney      |  restless, and you begin to throw sideways