[AG-TECH] room node certificates

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 1 05:24:08 CDT 2003

I'd be concerned about overloading CNAME in this way.  While it doesn't
specifically state that you should do so in the RFC, I put CNAME
duplication checking via IP address lookup table in to my Rtp
implementation to prevent the uncommon-but-occurred-a-couple-of-times
scenario of someone logging in twice at the same time using the same
identity which has the effect of drastically confusing users when
someone else's video stream shows up under their name.  In reading
through the spec, it doesn't spell out explicitly that CNAME is a
machine-local identifier, but the recommended binding of CNAME to
"user at host" strongly implies this, at least to me.

Perhaps a RTCP SDES PRIV extension field might be better used for this
purpose?  I have some scenarios where a "group" of data is not "owned"
by any specific CNAME -- such as a peer to peer whiteboarding scenario
-- and therefore I needed to create a logical grouping of Rtp Streams.
For instance, Ivan, Jay, and Colin are all sending ink onto a whiteboard
and we don't want the whiteboard to go away if just Jay leaves even
though Jay was perhaps the originator of the whiteboard.  To allow the
higher level application to understand the membership semantics of this
group, I created an RTCP field extension to add a "CHANNEL" identity
between these streams.  You could do something similar, such as a field
name of "NODE".  The RTCP extension can contains a variable length field
of up to 255 UTF-8 characters (minus field name size), so it should be
sufficient to hold a logical node name.  Since applications which don't
understand a RTCP SDES PRIV field should ignore it, this is a much
"safer" implementation than overloading an existing field with a "new"
definition.