[AG-TECH] VenueClient really really slow

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Fri Nov 14 19:58:02 CST 2003

This is one of those questions that's probably impossible to answer, but
I'll ask anyway ....

I have two Linux systems with RedHat 9 and AG 2.1 installed - a dual-CPU
system with projectors, and my single-CPU desktop. Both 2GHz Athlons.
The VenueClient on the dual CPU system seems OK (well, it's a bit slow,
but IMO anything that takes more than 250,000 microseconds to start is
slow). The VenueClient on the desktop system is so slow that I thought it
was broken, but it did eventually connect to a venue.

The two systems are on the same subnet and have no local packet filtering.
The room system started clean and got RedHat updates plus AG2.0 software,
AG2.1, VRVS, OpenOffice etc. - nothing special. The desktop system also
started clean but has my old desktop environment loaded, a few things
copied into /usr/local/bin from the old system, a few more browser
versions etc.
The room system is running 2.4.20-20.9smp, the desktop 2.4.20-8
Both have python-2.2.2-26 glib-1.2.10-10 glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-2.3.2-27.9

ANy suggestions ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada