[AG-TECH] AG2 VV2 Venue Server

Lewis Grantham l.grantham at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 05:56:46 CST 2003

Hi Rich,

we had the same issue here, and still get it.. on and off

I have the following network (libpcap) records of what happens, but as a
transient fault, it seems it will be difficult to fully pin down.

the vv2 server doesn't seem to finish giving AG2.1.2b clients all the info they
need - the transfer stops after 7 packets in my case.  The venue client is
running ok, just locked waiting for data that never comes, and with no
respectable way to crash out of it.

if you try the test venue server:

https://ag-2.mcs.anl.gov:8000/Venues/default

and capture the packets sent, you should see about 180 odd packets of data
exchanged, and may even enter the venue server reliably.

This is transient though - I have successfully entered the VV2 server on a
number of occassions.  Its tempting just to say the venue server is down - but
that does not look like the case in fact, although it might be misbehaving wrt
2.1.2b clients.

today for example, I cant access the VV2 server either, but the initial dialogue
between it and my client is occuring and hanging (visually) like yours.

so, I dont think you have any strange problems, but no, fraid I dont know any
way reliably foward on this one either, sorry.

one word of caution though, when the VV2 server does let you in, it feels pretty
slow subjectively, so always wait about 60 seconds before deciding its not going
to happen and shooting the client, otherwise you might miss a successful
connection.

to test things further, you can do worse than run your own venue server, or try
out the ag-2 server which so far has never blocked me.  not much help to users
though.

bye for now
lewis

Lewis Grantham LLB MSc
Project Leader, Multimedia Unit
Media Resources, UCL (University College London)
Windeyer Building, Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF

Tel: (+44) 020 7679 9258    Fax: (+44) 020 7580 0995