[AG-TECH] Re: AG Retreat 2003

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 31 11:28:41 CST 2003

That's a good point, John . . .  that in the future, the decision for site
selection for the retreat should  consider this issue.  I'm sure that the
folks at ANL will put that on their list for 2004.

Barbara
------------

At 04:22 PM 3/31/2003 +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Barbara A. Kucera wrote:
>
> > Get real, Michael.  It is unfortunate that Many won't be able to attend
> the
> > Ag-tech Retreat, but Argonne is a national laboratory with very high
> > security constraints.
>
>It's a conference about something very unimportant security wise.  Maybe it's
>not such a good decision to host it at Argonne's facilities.  Why choose a
>place with such high security constraints to host an inclusive event?
>
> > We are a nation at war, whether we agree with it or not.
>
>That's not a good excuse.  We're at war, no hot coffee.  This has nothing to
>do with war, and the Ag-tech Retreat is not a confidential/secure event.  I
>think this *is* a problem that [in hindsight] could have been avoided, no?
>
> > Let's spend out energies trying to find solutions rather than compounding
> > the problems.
>
>But note the issue for future reference.
>
>jh
>
>--
>"It is always easier to fight for ones principles than to live up to them."
>                                                      -- Alfred Adler

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/NSF EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor