[AG-TECH] Matrox Parhelia triple head AGP: 3 independent outputs???

Matthew Wolf mwolf at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 27 09:03:37 CST 2003

I've been using a parhelia on my display node for some time now, in
exactly the sort of configuration you're describing.

Depending on what people are doing, I run it in one of two modes.  By
default, I put it in clone mode, so that outputs one and two are the
same.  Output 2 goes to the console, and #1 goes to the projector.  That
it works very well if you're just doing local presentations & demos.

When I need the full real estate, I put it into the triple mode, where
the 3rd output drives the left-most projector, #1 drives the right
projector, and #2 drives the console.  (this may sound
counter-intuitive, but it works with our room layout)

In the Matrox powerdesktop setup utility you can force all popup windows
to go to one particular screen -- here I send them all to #2 (console).
  It plays a bit of havoc if you set vic to automatically place new
video streams, because they all only show up on the console.

The icon issue is a pain -- Best I've ever been able to do is just drag
them (and the task bar) over to the far right of the screen.  I suppose
going up to XP would help, since you could get rid of the icons
altogether and just run everything from the taskbar.  I've never
actually tried this, though.

For the PCI card, I just bit the bullet and bought a g200.  I needed 4
more outputs, and it was the most reasonable solution at the time.  On
other machines we've mixed nvidia and matrox cards successfully, though,
so if I was doing it again today I'd probably go that route.

Matt

--

         -- Matthew Wolf
         -- Research Scientist, IHPC Laboratory