[AG-TECH] network/DNS error?

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 10 12:34:29 CST 2003

At 01:24 PM 3/10/2003 -0500, Kelly, Vaughn [NCSUS Non J&J] wrote:

>Following the installation of the AGtk software, I'm running into a
>problem.  I have successfully installed all required software and obtained
>my certificates, but when I go into the Globus configuration and attempt
>to run it, I receive the error:
>
>No named interfaces found!  Check network and DNS configuration.
>
>Any suggestions?

First off, that's in a bit of code that we're planning on revamping in the
near future, so it should get a little friendlier.

What the error means is that the IP address of your system doesn't have a
name associated with it in DNS. This will be a problem if you want to run a
service on your computer that allows another host to connect to it (a venue
server, a multiple-computer node setup). I've got a query into the globus
folks to see what sort of support Globus has for connecting to hosts given
just the IP address.

It shouldn't be a problem if you are using your machine simply as a client
(since we support the use of clients behind restrictive firewalls that
allow outgoing but not incoming connections). If this is the case in your
situation, try going ahead with your configuration and see if you are able
to connect to a venue server. If not, go ahead and submit a bug to our
bugzilla server at

         http://bugzilla.mcs.anl.gov/accessgrid/

--bob