[AG-TECH] Interlaced images produced by Bt848/Bt878 compliants

Justin Binns binns at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 23 13:25:34 CDT 2003

This is actualy an artifact of the NTSC signal that is coming into the
card.  NTSC is 640x480 interlaced, at 60 fields per second.  Each field is
640x240 (ish - ok, so it's 240 lines, and as many pixels wide as you care
to sample), and each field alternates even/odd lines when the image is
recombined.  These fields are sent at 60 per second, for a total of 30
frames per second (which is usually what you capture).  The thing is,
since the fields are time-sequential, the data is different.  This is what
makes TV look so smooth, but creates the interlacing problem you're
seeing.  It has nothing to do with the capture card, and everything to do
with the incoming signal (and, most likely, the camera and/or video
source).  Do a google search on 'deinterlacing NTSC' and you'll find lots
of references to many documents that talk about this phenomenon and
possible solutions.

Justin Binns