[AG-TECH] Additional bridging questions

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Mon Jun 9 06:25:19 CDT 2003

> From: Robert Olson <olson at mcs.anl.gov>

> >Looking at the Quickbridge, it seems a viable option, and I've heard of it
> >being done, to use two Quickbridges on either side of a firewall (or
> >router) to 'tunnel' the multicast between two disconnected multicast
> >domains.  Anybody done this?  Willing to share the details?
>
> If you're doing this anyway, would it be possible to convince the firewall
> admins to just let multicast UDP pass thru?

If bridge software can carry traffic over a TCP connection not only
forwarding UDP datagrams, it becomes easier to establish a tunnel in
many cases.  Many firewalls allow us to establish TCP connections from
the inside and a tunnel over TCP can be tolerant of IP address translation.

Current QuickBridge can forward UDP datagrams and cannot make a tunnel
over TCP connections.  Is it nice to enhance QuickBridge to support
TCP tunnels?  Or, are there any bridge software which supports TCP tunnels?

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo at computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/