[AG-TECH] Best Video card for VIC

Coorpender, Steven SCoorp at LSUHSC.EDU
Thu Jul 10 13:51:19 CDT 2003

I think that buying a 3dlabs card for your ag display machine would most
likely be unnecessary and much too expensive...in fact, unless you are
running 3D rendering applications on your display machine, you do not need
the 3d acceleration features that cards like the FireGL and Wildcat offer.
For access grid display use, multi-headed 2D cards are all that is needed.
AGP bandwidth should not be a problem either. I'm not sure, but I have heard
that high performance 3D cards sacrifice 2D performance (for
cost-efficiency, etc.).

Steven Coorpender
Systems Analyst
LSU Eye Center

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Baggett [mailto:dbaggett at nsf.gov]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 8:40 AM
To: 'ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov'
Subject: [AG-TECH] Best Video card for VIC

Recently we had a Grid meeting and due to the fact that there were too
many windows on the console screen, the video card could not handle it
(it was a NVIDIA FireGL card).

Assuming the problem is bandwidth on the AGP bus (please correct me if I
am wrong), has anybody used some of the new AGP 8x cards like the
wildcat 4 from 3dlabs?

Administratively of course the correct solution is to request sites to
limit the number of cameras used when joining an event. The problem was
that during this meeting we had many ad-hoc sites.

thanks!

-Doug Baggett
CISE/NSF/OAD