[AG-TECH] Network Flow diagrams

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 05:46:38 CST 2003

Following on from what Phil and then Andrew put together,
I've formatted a Word document which is perhaps easier to read
and has added info about DPPT and RPPT - which hopefully I've
understood enough to get in the right place.

I offer it as something that can be corrected and added to by those
with accurate knowledge.  As anyone in our organization knows,
I am a complete ignoramus with respect to networks, but seem to
need to spend quite a bit of time speaking to network people,
so would find an authoritative version of this information
incredibly useful.  I certainly don't lay claim to being the
author but am happy to be the editor.

I'll attach it as both Word and plain text - sorry I don't have
easy access to put it up on the web for review just now.  I haven't obeyed
any sort of conventions in this - it just seems important for us
to gather the information in as precise a form as possible first,
and then get it into AGDP form when the information has been
collected.

I know nothing about bridges, so maybe someone can provide that
information.

I have separated DPPT client (adding that to the Display Machine's
list), DPPT server and DPPT master - please correct or expand that
if I've got it wrong.

I think some of the entries under "All AG Nodes" should be split
off into "Machines running a Beacon" but haven't done that in case
I'm wrong.

In the same section, I have marked some lines that should perhaps
say 'server' instead of 'client' - just a cut and paste byproduct,
I think.

It may be useful to tie some of the ports to the way they are set;
e.g. the port used by DPPT seems to be settable in DPPT Server Set,
so perhaps this connection should be recorded, as I have done for
the X-Windows form of VNC (hopefully using the correct terminology).

Perhaps people would like to send any comments to the list, which
I'll pick up and incorporate as long as no-one else disagrees.

Anyone any thoughts on the most useful form?  Web table?

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]