[AG-TECH] NCSA venues

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 04:54:26 CST 2003

In a word, scalability!

We need a strategy - preferably just one plan, in fact - that
accommodates 1000 nodes, 10,000 nodes, 1,000,000
nodes and the virtual venue complement that such numbers of nodes
will require.

I guess telecoms companies have some statistics on how many cross-
point connections (i.e. links) are required for a given community
of phones.  The ratio of virtual venues to nodes might follow the
same sort of curve, with some sort of correction for the fact that
many (most?) AG meetings are multi-site rather than point-to-point.

>From our video conferencing experience here since 1995, we have
found that our most accurate predictions have been made from
intelligent use of historical data.  Hopefully ANL and NCSA are
keeping their bookings history.

Cheers - and Happy New Year to all.

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]