[AG-TECH] mm100/project Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 6 04:57:38 CST 2003

Don't worry if you can't find the MM units, which are easy to find
in the US and difficult anywhere else.  Get any equivalent
active balanced to unbalanced convertors (Sonifex RedBox RB-BL2,
Alice Match-Pak, etc..), keep the unbalanced leads as short as
possible (mine are about half a metre, with the RedBox rackmounted
immediately above the Audio computer) and keep unbalanced leads
as far as possible from monitor cables.  Hum and buzz should then
be inaudible - if they aren't, the problem is elsewhere.  Make sure
you use Line (not Speaker) connections on any sound cards.  Then
make sure you are using all links close to their nominal level
(-10dB, +4 dB, as appropriate) for the loudest sounds you need to
transmit/receive - many sound setups sound bad because a gain
is too low at one point in the chain and this is compensated for
elsewhere in the chain.  If this is the case you will tend to get
hiss, hum or buzz (too low followed by too high) or crackling or
distortion (too high followed by too low).

Good luck

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]