[AG-TECH] SC Global Needs Your PCs!

Michael Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 10:51:55 CST 2003

As you may know, preparations for SC Global 2003 are well under way. As part
of the technical infrastructure that will underpin the event, we have
identified a need for around 20 servers to be hosted on remote sites. These
remote sites (known as 'Technology Hubs') will run software such as Venues
Servers, Multicast-Unicast Bridges, Presentation Software Servers (e.g. DPPT
servers), and so on. It is very important that these servers are
geographically distributed, as many will play a role in contingency plans.
We'd like the servers to be spread out in a similar way to how we expect SC
Global sites to be distributed across the continents of the world.

This e-mail is a call for sites to donate resource from now until the 21st
November. What is required from you is access to one or more PCs to be
housed on your site. In return, we will provide recognition that show your
institution helped to make SC Global 03 what we hope will be a resounding
success. This recognition will be in the SC Global programme, on our
website, on signs in Phoenix, and so on.

It may not be necessary to dedicate the machines you volunteer solely for SC
Global use (i.e. they can be used for other purposes too), except during the
actual conference (17th-21st November) and during tests that start around
the middle of August. During these periods, we will require that the
machines are used for nothing other than serving SC Global.

Some of the functionality (e.g. Bridges) requires decent network
connectivity (100 Mbits/sec or more); some simply requires standard network
connectivity. Most of the servers need to be Linux workstations/servers,
however we will require some Windows 2000/XP machines too.

If you'd like to volunteer your site to be a Technology Hub, then please
e-mail me with details of the machine(s) you want to be considered and
whether or not your site and machine(s) can meet the higher network demands.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Michael Daw
Technical Director, SC Global 2003.

Michael Daw
SVE Group (Supercomputing, Visualization and e-Science)

Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building,
University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK

Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: michael.daw at man.ac.uk

http://www.sve.man.ac.uk/General/Staff/daw