[AG-TECH] Multicast VNC

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
Fri Feb 14 12:43:23 CST 2003

Since VNC seems to be an increasingly popular way of displaying PC data (PPT
slides, data visualization, etc), I was wondering if anyone has played around
at all with VNC over multicast.  I found at least one package that looks
very promising at

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ziewer/MulticastVNC/

It's a viewer that supports proxying a standard unicast server to other
multicast viewers, so you could do something like

                   Standard Unicast
                       VNC Server
                           ^   ^
                           |   +------ Standard Unicast VNC Client(s)

                      MulticastVNC
                           ^

                       +---+---+
                       |   |   |
                       |   |   |
                  Multiple MulticastVNC
                        Clients

The biggest question, as far as I see it, would be how to manage the multicast
address/port that each VNC server uses within a given room.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or any other multicast VNC?

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer