[AG-TECH] Is the Lobby active or inactive?

Randy Groves randy.groves at boeing.com
Thu Aug 28 14:10:56 CDT 2003

With the advent of the new venue server and clients, I'm wondering what the
function of the 'Lobby' should be - if, in fact, it needs to exist - at
least as a place where audio and video are active.  Until such time as the
network services exist to throttle the communications, entering the venue
could be problematic if you are using a low-bandwidth client, and you are
suddenly bombarded with the streams from all the people who are 'parked' in
the lobby.

Though it hasn't undergone real extensive testing (and probably won't now
that 2.0 is out and looking good), my 1.x venue server doesn't have ANY
streams in the lobby.  This gives folks a way to 'stop and catch their
breath' before plunging into the fray.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this.  Of course, since it isn't
presently possible to configure a room with NO streams allocated, the point
is somewhat moot.  But that's how I see us using the lobby.

-randy