[AG-TECH] more shared app questions.

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 27 10:19:35 CDT 2003

Hi guys and gals,

I have been wondering about shared applications lately. I have come up with
a couple of questions.
I was probably exposed to the answer to these questions at the last AG
retreat but have
forgotten them.

In the context of registration of a shared application I have been
wondering what that means.
Does an application get registered with a single venue server? If the
server goes down do you
have to register again ( I am thinking not)? When I look at the shared
presentation application
I see code in the "main" routine that worries about application and venue
urls. If the app is
started with a venue url and no app url then something special happens. A
VenueProxy is
obtained and the CreateApplication method is called on that object. Is this
the magic registration
process happening before our eyes? If it is not I would like an explanation
of what this section
of the code is doing. The comments say that when the app is integrated into
the venueclient
this will never happen and the application will only be given an app url.
So my next question
is what happens when I start the shared presentation application from the
venue client? How
is it started and what arguments are passed? I know I could crawl through
the code to find this
out but I am a lazy slug and you guys know the answer to these things. It
is kind of like when
my wife complains when I ask her where some thing is. She says why do I ask
her instead of
looking for it myself. My answer is that she knows where every item is in
the house and by
asking her I save myself hours of fruitless hunting after which I will ask
her anyway. It is sort of
like that.

Anyway, those are my questions. I had more but cant remember them. If you
are still with me
I would like to have them answered in the context of AG 2.0. I know there
is a new version out but
based on the traffic I see on this list I think the path of least
resistance is to wait until you all have
debugged it a bit more before I dive in. Besides, Enquiring minds want to
know. I want to go
through the 2.0 registration process before I install 2.1 so I can
appreciate the true beauty of the
new release...

Regards,
Dave

Dave Semeraro Ph.D.
Visualization and Virtual Environments Group
NCSA University of Illinois
605 E. Springfield Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu