[AG-TECH] autonomous motorized camera

Jeremy W Herr herrj at umich.edu
Wed Aug 20 18:37:17 CDT 2003

Hello again,
	Sorry for the email bombardment, I think this is the last one for
now.  I am aware of motorized cameras that can follow a speaker in a small
room by the sound of their voice.  I've seen these in action, and they
work pretty well but get confused by sound bouncing off walls.
	Also I am aware of a system where whoever is speaker takes a small
mouse-sized thing and presses a button, which emits IR, and the camera
looks toward the IR light.
	For a large auditorium with its own PA, I am thinking about giving
the speaker a necklace with an ultrasonic or RF emitter, and using
triangulation to calculate the speaker's position and look at them.  Does
this sound reasonable?  My impression is that ultrasonic would be easier
to set up, but will also bounce off walls, whereas RF might take more hard
core electrical engineering.

Jeremy