[AG-TECH] Persistence in a venue in AG2.x

Randy Groves randy.groves at boeing.com
Tue Aug 12 10:27:08 CDT 2003

In responding to a note of master Uram's in Bugzilla, I started thinking
about the model - at least how I am perceiving it at this point.

 From the way that the venue management is constructed, there doesn't seem
to be any idea that you could stash data and/or applications permanently as
part of a venue.  The idea of data/applications/services is attached only
to the nodes.

In my view, the venue is the place that people meet.  I expect when I enter
a room, that the objects that I placed there the last time I visited are
still there (which the possible exception of my car keys ;-) ).  There
doesn't seem to be any facility at present to add this to a venue, but
rather these must be brought to the venue in a node.

Now I understand that the venue isn't really the place that all that would
happen, it is really a lightweight descriptor of the multicast meeting
place.  But it seems to me that it could contain a record or pointers
somehow to the objects that are expected to be there.

I do seem to remember that this was covered a while back, but now that I'm
experimenting with 2.0, it just seems logical that we should be able to add
these kind of objects to the venue in some way.

-randy