[AG-TECH] Question about Codec

JongWon Kim jongwon at netmedia.kjist.ac.kr
Mon Aug 11 21:50:55 CDT 2003

Dear All,

This is JongWon Kim from K-JIST (Kwang-Ju Institute of Science &
Technology),
who is leading team of students on AG.

Interestingly we were working on the integration of DV into AG, starting
from this
spring. Since we was new to the source level code of AGTK, it took us
some time
to figure out how we handle the integration of DV into AG. Anyway, let
me introduce
the way of integration we are currently considering so that we can get
your valuable
comment.

To integrate DV into AGTk 2.0, we are taking a simplified integration
approach as shown
in the attached figure. Note that at this first phase of integration, we
want to focus on
the integration without having the burdon of seamless tie with existing
video services.
Once completed, we want to go through another refinement...

1) In order to touch the VV server to a minimum level, we are
considering of launching
    separate DV producer/consumer services in DV-capable AG nodes only.

   Question: Can someone compare with modifying video producer/consumer
service?

2) DVTS-agent will be added and will handle the announcement of DV flows
(i.e., stream
    description) to all DV-capable nodes with, say, a DV-video multicast
announcement address/port.
    That is, each DV flow (i.e., stream) will use an unique multicast
address/port combination.
    This will allow each node to selectively tune-in the stream
interested.  The rate adjustability
    of DVTS, what Shudo mentioned, is another feature we are considering
in the regard.

    Question: An unique port for each DV flow with shared multicast
address is acceptable with this?

3) We are also confining the integration of DVTS to linux system only
due to source-code
     availability of DVTS.

Will be very helpful if we can hear your valuable comments on the above
and others.

Yours!

jongwon
-----    Kwang-Ju Institute of Science & Technology (K-JIST)   -----

   JongWon Kim
   Associate Professor
   Depart. of Information & Commun.          /   /
   E-mail: jongwon at kjist.ac.kr              /  /
   Tel: +82-62-970-2219                  / /    O
   Fax: +82-62-970-2204               <//__ --
   http://netmedia.kjist.ac.kr            /     \/ \/\/