[AG-TECH] Question about Codec

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 6 10:46:15 CDT 2003

Can I pick up on the idea of
"> i think allowing for varying levels of bandwidth capability
> of different sites
> to allow more people to participate is a different challenge
> that should be
> addressed independently."

As far as I am aware, this would be an enormous challenge [but
I'd love to find out it's already been tackled!]

Let me demonstrate through a scenario currently playing out in
the UK.  A high percentage of the academic community have connection
at serious bandwidth to SuperJanet 4 - say 650 Mbaud or more.  Quite
a lot of the smaller research institutes may only have 2 or 8 Mbit
and are currently looking for the money to upgrade to 34 Mbit or
more.  Bandwidth costs in the UK!

At a completely parochial level, I do 40% of my work located at
RAL (Gbit or more connection) and 60% at my father's house
(128 Kbit/sec ISDN 2B+D).  Even there I would love to join in
on AG events, at least contributing my video stream, and maybe
seeing a chairman, if there is one.  At present I could only do
this either by killing off video completely, or by going via dial-up
audio only into the AP10 at (say) RAL.

AFAIK, there is no way to select which video streams should go
to any site if they are multicast, thereby saving inbound bandwidth.

The requirement as I see it is for a given site to say that it is
not interested in receiving particular streams (rather than the
opposite which would be for a site to be able to restrict the
sites it is sending to).

I don't know whether anyone has had thoughts on this; I do realise
that the main point of the AG is that everyone sees everyone else
and this is a facility that is in the opposite direction!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]