[AG-TECH] Have you seen this?

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:57:11 CDT 2003

I just got back from SIGGRAPH in San Diego. Some of the areas of
technology presented was using sensing technology to design and
research interactive spaces... which included positioning what you
wanted to view via projector on any wall that you happened to be near.
This used projectors (with a mounted motorized mirror) and cameras just
like we using in the AG rooms. It would use a mirror to aim the
projection at any appropriate surface. The cameras were used to "see"
what you were doing and where you were looking and react accordingly.
The computer tracking was very good with multiple people in that it
would not be distracted and track someone else - it "locked on" and you
couldn't shake it loose! (except by leaving the area it tracked.
<grin>).

So, in terms of the AG, position the projection on the wall that the
subject was next to or looking at.... even down on the table.... all
based on where you focus your attention. I couldn't help thinking about
the AG and how this technology might be applied.

They also showed projecting your "desktop" at any surface you wished to
use as well as interacting with it by having a camera watch you (making
any surface a "touch screen"). I wouldn't mind having my data screen
presented on the table/wall/where ever where I can point and gesture
and control from.

-John Q.

--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.
Computer Manager / Louisiana Biomedical Research Network