Fwd: [AG-TECH] Delays in audio/video arriving

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 29 11:05:52 CDT 2003

Good morning John,

This sounds like you might be running into a packeteer or some such.

http://www.packeteer.com/solutions/problems_peer-to-peer.cfm

Many campuses have these devices to limit the amount of peer-to-peer
traffic (think Kazaa and other media "sharing" programs).  Among other
things, devices like the packeteer have very long queues in them and a
strict rate limit.

We ran into a similar problem recently with the MOO text chat channel.  A
packeteer was delaying outbound TCP packets for many seconds, making the
chat session unusable.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov