Fwd: [AG-TECH] How to configure VRM of PIG? (Re: USB camera with PIG (AG 1.1))

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 22 15:49:30 CDT 2003

I was able to get two WDM cameras working with the following steps:
1. Get the cameras A and B installed and working in WinXP.
2. Put two lines in the video-config file:
    <capture_card input="Composite1" number="0" purpose="PRESENTER"
device="Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32)"/>
    <capture_card input="Composite1" number="0" purpose="MAIN"
device="Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32)"/>

         you can put whatever you want in the "purpose" field.  use this to
distinguish between your video feeds.

3.Launch a venue
         This launches three vics: VRM(0), VRM(1), DRM
         This also brings up a "Video Source" selection box where I can
choose between the cameras.
         On the first launch after installing new cameras, two "Video
Source" dialogs are shown.
                 Select a different item for each "Video Source" dialog
that displays
                 On subsequent launches of a venue only one "Video Source"
dialog is displayed
         Notice that one of the cameras (A) is already showing in the DRM
vic and one of the
         VRM vics (0).
         Camera A is also the device that is listed in the "Video Source"
box.
         This "Video Source" dialog asking you to select the device for the
VRM(1) vic.
         Since camera A is already in use in the VRM(0) vic, if you select
it now, VRM(1) vic will crash.
         Choose camera B for VRM(1) and all is well

I noticed that when quitting the vics, whichever one of the VRM vics I
close first, causes that device to be the default device and the default
device is selected the next time a venue is launched.  But this behavior
sometimes seems inconsistent.  In the example above:
VRM(0) is using Camera A
VRM(1) is using Camera B
if I close VRM(1) then close VRM(0)
         camera B is selected as default
When I launch the venue again, camera B now shows in VRM(0)
I need to select camera A for VRM(1) for things to work

notice this changes the window which the feeds are in so the "purpose"
changes for the cameras.  If this is important, you may need to launch/Quit
things in a particular order to get the config you want.  the important
thing to realize is that the cameras are listed in the "Video Source"
dialog in the same order each time. (this may change during reboots,
depending on which device initializes first) So, when the "Video Source"
dialog shows you one of the cameras, pick the other one

Another quirk of the "Video Source" box is that when you click the drop
down list if you move your mouse to your selection then click -outside- the
drop down list, then the selection reverts to the previously selected
item.  This causes problems when the devices are the same(i.e. two Quickcam
4000's) and there is no way to distinguish between them in the list other
than their position.  Be careful to click directly on your selection and
make it stick.

So it appears that even if the WDM cameras are the same type and described
with the same string in the "Video Source" dialog, they will work.  It's
tricky, but it can be done...

Please send me any comments and I'll repost with any corrections or new info.

Michael Miller
NCSA