[AG-TECH] VV Spatial metaphor (was AG Security)

Wenjun Liu wliu at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 27 13:53:46 CDT 2002

Hi,

more general design guidelines. Even though most people in this mailing list
are AG-TECH designers, I believe many may find my message off beat. Just
treat it as a casual encounter of a different kind and you won't find it too
weird.

Most technologies are based on reality but try to surpass reality. AG is a
good example. We have VV metaphor that imitates workplace arrangement with
different rooms and meeting places that we are all familiar with. But we try
to make it more flexible and powerful by providing us virtual proximities to
a larger or more appropriate set of colleagues over VV while in reality, our
office can only be surrounded by a few (sometimes, for task purpose, not so
suitable) others along a corridor.

And that is the reality and virtual reality (VR) that interest us.

A general guideline to design VR is to make it feel like real, e.g., try to
match face-to-face interaction in many VR efforts. But reality is not
necessarily good. For example, sometimes we complain that meetings in
reality waste too much of our time. Do we want to or did we already make AG
meetings "feel" more like real?

In addition to formal meeting, we also want casual/informal encounters over
AG because we think that is the way innovative ideas are revealed to us by
talking to strangers, people with different visions and knowledge. In
reality, however, casual/informal encounters happen most likely among people
who know each other well. Hence we can't hope to casual-interact with people
we don't know over AG. There get be some kind of mechanism to make us know
each other before we can casually interact. That mechanism is sometimes
called "pulling together similar interests." Conference in reality serves
that purpose pretty well. In a digital world, message posting can do it
better. PIG may make casual/informal encounters easier among people who know
each other. But to expand our scale of casual/informal encounters, we need
something else.

This brings us to another related guideline for designing effective VR: task
facilitation. Mentioning "group collaboration" is not specific enough for
design purpose. Collaboration has many forms. Talking is only one of them.
Although current AG supports talking pretty well, we get to include other
tools and features (distributed PowerPoint is only one of them) to make AG
really different from video conferencing.

It seems to me there are two types of efforts to improve AG:
1. Efforts to make it feel like real (imitative efforts): better audio,
video, user interface, etc. that make AG fade to the background; less
mediated, more communication.
2. Efforts to make it go beyond reality (creative efforts): tools like
information visualization that help people see things in a way otherwise
impossible in reality (processing information); or tools that facilitate
group processes like sending and receiving messages that stimulate,
exchange, extend, and apply creative ideas (creating knowledge).

We probably will see many efforts of the first category these days but may
see more of the second category in the future.

Wenjun