[AG-TECH] AG behind firewall

S.Booth spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 24 04:45:23 CDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 bernholdtde at ornl.gov wrote:

> I'm going to setup a PIG-ish (piggy?) node on a network that's behind
> our multcast-unfriendly firewall.  My plan was to QuickBridge to an
> ORNL machine sitting outside the firewall.  I have a few questions...
>
> 1) Are there any performance issues for the bridge machine?
>    Presumably its basically just forwarding packets, and so just
>    requires a good network card.  Any recommendations?

It is just forwarding packets. however you have to run two bridges one
for video and one for audio so you may see some benefit from having 2
cpus.
For a perminant arrangement I think you would be better off with a
multicast tunnel passed throught the firewall, most of the routing would
take place at the kernel level and should perform better and you would not
have to manually restart the quickbridge when changing rooms.