[AG-TECH] Room names usingd VV Server

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 06:10:19 CDT 2002

Thanks for the insight Shawn,

in that case, I guess I could edit the room name directly from within
the mud via tkMOO rather than via the web interface.

chris

>This is due to the fact that the released venues server code does not make
>a call to the mud upon editing its name.  The xml-rpc method for modifying
>the room name in the mud exists in the provided code, but the function that
>handles the name change on the venues server does not make use of it.  A
>slight modification of the name change function would fix this problem.
>
>And I believe the added "The" in front of room names is done by default on
>the mud.  As far as I know, there's nothing that can be done about it
>without modification of the mud's core database.
>-Shawn
>
>At 06:11 PM 9/9/2002, Christoph Willing wrote:
>>We have the VV server software successfully running here on a test
>>machine, prior to making it generally available for the Asia Pacific
>>time zone.
>>
>>The only problem so far is fairly minor, perhaps someone could suggest a
>>fix? It appears that once a room has been created, editing its name does
>>not change in a client's mud session
>>
>>i.e. changing the default "The First Room" to "APAG Lobby" has no effect
>>in the mud - the name on the web interface is OK (says "APAG Lobby") but
>>tkMOO-lite still says that the user is in "The First Room"
>>
>>another example: I initially created a room called "Test". I later
>>changed its name to "Test Room". Now the web interface lists and moves
>>to the "Test Room" as expected however in tkMOO it is announced as "The
>>Test" (not sure where the "The" came from).
>>
>>This is running on a fresh RH7.1 with a make install of ag-vv-1.0.02
>>over the top of an rpm installed ag-vv-1.0.00-1.i386.rpm.

Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3005
VisLab, A28                        Facsimile   (61-2) 9351 1880
University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia                http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au