[AG-TECH] Does a two section screen work?

Jon Johansson jon.johansson at ualberta.ca
Wed Oct 30 15:22:59 CST 2002

Hi,

We are interested in building an AccessGrid Room. The space we
have available is used as a classroom and meeting room and
we can't dedicate the space to exclusive AccessGrid use.
As a compromise we are looking to add the AccessGrid
fuctionality to everything that is already there:
as a result the design we currently have involves splitting
the screen so that we would have an
8 foot section on the north wall of the room and a 16 foot
section parallel to the east wall. I've attached a copy of
our tentative design. I know that the docs say
that we should try to have an unbroken wall for the screen;
does this configuration make the AccessGrid meeting unworkable?
What are the problems with this? We were thinking to project
the group on the 8' screen with the actual content on
the 16' screen. I realize that this won't allow comfortable
active participation from the 25 possible people sitting
in our space, but if this is workable for the first 2 or 3
rows I think this would be fine.

Also, do people have any idea what is a reasonable time
commitment for support for this room? As I see it we
need a technical person to operate the facility while in
AG mode, but how much additional maintenance does it need?
Is keeping it tuned up a full-time job?

Any comments are welcome.

Thank you,
Jon Johansson.

--
Jon I Johansson             *  Research Computing Support
jon.johansson at ualberta.ca   *  Computing and Network Services