[AG-TECH] electronic whiteboards

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 22 19:47:36 CDT 2002

It would have been nice if 'wb' were part of the standard AG setup, but
there are many reasons why it isn't so (perhaps it will be part of AG
2.0?) :-)

We've been playing with the E-Beam from Electronics for Imaging Inc.
	http://www.e-beam.com/

* They are relatively inexpensive 'bout $500
* Its reasonably accurate although we are stretching it to its limits
with our display surface.  I understand there is now a way to gang them
together to cover more surface area though (Deb Aggarwal knows more
about that feature).
* Their whiteboard software is free (you can download it from their
website).  So people who don't have e-beam systems can use their mouse
to collaborate with people who have the whiteboard.
* Even if you don't have their software or your platform isn't
supported, you can connect to the e-beam server using your web-browser.
It provides a rudimentary java program that allows you to participate in
the whiteboard session that is embedded in your web browser as if you
had the full-fledged software.  So I can hop on an SGI/IRIX box and do
collaborative whiteboard figures with all of my friends on the AG
* They offer an SDK that allows you to directly access the e-beam pen
coordinates and use them directly in your own applications.  Perhaps you
can use it for overlays or to control collaborative graphics apps as
well...

Anyways, I've been pretty impressed with it so far.  The fact that the
software is free and that even people without the software can
participate in the whiteboarding session makes it feasible to deploy.
Heck, we consider the $4k Gentner standard equipment for the AG (its
proprietary)... why not a $500 whiteboard system???

I'm not entirely certain how you can do overlays on slides though... I'd
have to think some more about how you'd do that.  It would be an
interested project to try out with their SDK.

-john