[AG-TECH] vic and rat on MAC?

Matthew Wolf mwolf at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 5 15:36:22 CDT 2002

I got pretty far down this road before real work got in the way.  :)

tcl/tk ends up being a non-issue.  xfree86 runs in a rootless mode under
OSX, so you can just take the UCL versions of tcl/tk & build them.  (not
as pretty as doing an aqua interface, but it works.)

The real problem is that Darwin has a completely different device
interface.  Everything's tied up in a core library that you have to call
-- no /dev/audio, /dev/video, etc.  So the real work is all in figuring
out how to match function calls inside rat & vic to the functions in the
library.  Probably a decent undergrad project for a semester, but I've
never had anyone bite when I've suggested it.

Maybe someone out there has a more adventurous and/or Mac-friendly
supply of undergrads.  :)

Matt

--

        -- Matthew Wolf