[AG-TECH] vic and rat on MAC?

Lawrence A. Rowe Rowe at bmrc.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 4 17:37:52 CDT 2002

John Shalf wrote:

> On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 01:32  PM, Colin Perkins wrote:
>
> > --> John Shalf writes:
> >>
> >> I did notice the H.261 codec in quicktime, but don't see an obvious way
> >> to connect to a host/port (particularly multicast) on the net?  I take
> >> it you know the secret incantation for this?
> >
> > No, I just talked to some folks at Apple, who claimed to have tested
> > QuickTime with rat/vic. Can it not listen for SAP announcements?
>
> It might, but I have no idea how to make it do so.  The MacTV
> application could do this with this funkly little SDR-like tool.
> However, AG isn't doing the SAP thing.  Gotta have a way to specify the
> host/port for the connection.  Again, the codec is clearly there for
> quicktime, but not clear how to get it to connect into a multicast group
> so that we can make use of said codec.  I'm hoping that there is either
> a vic port *or* someone wrote a Quicktime-based vic replacement that
> doesn't suck.
---

Don't get your hopes up.  The Quicktime Player only plays one source
stream. So, if you join a multicast session you'll only see one stream.
Moreover, the last time we tested it QtP crashed when it received the
second stream. That might have been fixed in the recent release but I
know we were playing with the dual NCast streams using QtP and it
actually required that two players be started.
	Larry
--
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  Rowe at BMRC.Berkeley.EDU
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117