[AG-TECH] electronic whiteboards

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 23 05:04:08 CDT 2002

I'd be interested to know what people think about the human factors
of shared whiteboards - specifically hardware ones (e.g. Mimio)
versus software ones (e.g. the elusive 'wb'!).  What makes me think
of this is that we are already having to look at wireless keyboards
and mice so that users running interactive applications (visualizations
in our case) can sit in the audience (not the operator's area) and
still interact.

My first thought is that having a hardware board (with software
connection via NetMeeting or VNC or similar) polarizes the
interaction - one person at a time at each site will land up
in charge of the board.  This mirrors the situation in a
non-VC, non-AG meeting where one person stands by a flipchart,
but the AG is about doing things better!

The second thought is that with a decent acreage of videowall,
you don't actually need a hardware surface - the videowall provides
it.

What I'm wondering is whether some sort of solution exists with
everyone (i.e. each audience seat) having a mouse and 'writing' on
a whiteboard that is on the videowall and which is distributed
to other sites.  You'd probably need a small area on the screen
for each seat where that mouse could select the coloured pens and
the eraser, unless you had 5 button mice.

Don't know whether anyone else can follow my line of thinking here -
on rereading it the links are a bit tenuous!

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]