[AG-TECH] Re: Hands-on Multicast Workshop (fwd)

John Zwiebel jzwiebel at procket.com
Wed May 8 17:25:38 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 02:44 PM, Hans Kuhn wrote:

> John,
>
> Yes, and Yes. We would be happy to source SSM and ASM
> sources for the multicast workshop if we know that we will
> have at least one SSM joiner. Would that be you John ;) ?

I'd sure hope that Beau and Toerless and Shep would be pushing
that same thing.  If not, I'll have to get out my bat.  ;-)

Actually, what I was wanting was info I got from Ross where he said:

   There used to be an Internet Draft -
"draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-srcfilter-00.txt"
   - that described how to (among other things) describe SSM sessions in
SDP -
   e.g.,
         c=IN IP4 232.3.4.5/127
         a=incl:IN IP4 232.3.4.5 192.168.9.10

   I.e., in this example, the session uses the SSM address (232.3.4.5,
32.3.4.5)

IMHO the SDP can include the source even if it isn't in the SSM range.
That way an application that is smart enough could send an IGMPv3
report for that source and not have to worry about ASM.

(it makes sense to me for a one-to-many group which is what you
are going to be sending out.)

Thanks for considering it.