[AG-TECH] Access Grid Installation

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 22 07:56:14 CST 2002

hi Torsten

We have integrated AG nodes into our A/V system at ACCESS and the results
are extremely effective. If you can, please feel free to come visit us in
Washington DC and I can show you what we have done here.

In regards to # of machines for the AG node. The concept here is
that the machines are appliances. Naturally, multitasking the machines
is possible. However, the concept here is that the cpu's are one of the
cheapest component of the entire setup - what is it now? 2-3K for a machine?
so why skimp on machines?
Also, note that when running a large event (which is generally the
case when AG nodes are combined with larger A/V systems), should one of
the components freeze on you (say audio) and the systems are all on the same
machine, then it may also knock out the other components (like video).
Appliance machines isolate the collaborative pieces creating less chance
for total failure.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu