[AG-TECH] APware behaviour

bernholdtde at ornl.gov bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Tue Mar 19 12:23:27 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:44:00 -0800  Michael Gates wrote:
> ... load the software on a laptop... the laptop doesn't have to stay
> with the AG node...

This brings to mind something I read about a few months ago.

The Shuttle SV24 is a very small motherboard (FlexATX form factor, I
think) in a case with power supply that sells for $250, I think.
Someone was selling one with a (800 MHZ?) Celeron processor for $329.
The motherboard has built-in S3 video and all the usual interfaces.
You still need to add memory and whatever storage you want.

The small size and low cost seemed to me to make it a good candidate
for "appliance" applications, where you don't need much power and have
a pretty limited job to perform.  If you could scrounge peripherals
and perhaps memory from a retiring machine, or just buy the smallest
cheapest thing that will do the job, it really could be quite cheap.

Just another idea.
David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680