[AG-TECH] AG on wireless

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 22 14:12:27 CST 2002

Actually, running at these bitrates is not something limited to Windows
Media compression.  H.261 can run these bitrates too, but with the
quality hit.

We're in limited private distribution of our binaries today and have
been running tests with the software between our lab and some
universities for some time, as lab only testing is pretty worthless for
these types of applications ;-)  We presented the first results of our
'over the Internet2' testing at the 2001 AG Retreat, so we've been out
there for a while now ;-)  We're waiting until we're comfortable with
the code quality and interoperable with lots of video equipment (such as
the Hauppauge) before we go to an open release.

It's definitely true that the work done in WMVideo and WMAudio
compression will not be cross platform.  There are limited ports to
Windows CE and Macintosh, but the licensing / IP of these codecs are
pretty tightly held and considered to be a key Windows differentiator.
This is why we in MS Research are funding work on transcoding solutions
to h.261, because we don't want to imply we're looking at a port of
Windows Media to a cross platform codebase nor any form of open source
release of the algorithms but we want to be interoperable with our AG
work.

 - jcb