[AG-TECH] AG on wireless

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 22 11:57:16 CST 2002

I would disagree with the assessment that AG scenarios are too heavy for
wireless networks.

We comfortably fit four way conferencing, with one of the four streams
being 640x480, in 3 Mb/s today using Windows Media compression.
Assuming we limited ourselves to 6 Mb/s of bandwidth, we could add
another 7 320x240 streams at ~400 kb/s for audio, video, and data
bringing us up to 11-way conferencing.

Certainly, using more bandwidth per stream (such as MJPEG compression)
or trying to do 20-30 streams isn't feasible over 802.11b, but for the
sweet spot of 4-7 room conferencing, wireless is completely feasible.