[AG-TECH] Mapping IP addresses to Venues

Ivan Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 22 01:05:25 CST 2002

I think what this conversation leads to is the requirement that address
allocation have a well defined interface.  We need to define it now, and
use it to shield ourselves from the coming wave of new technology
that might tempt us into implementing new functionality that gives us
greater freedom (why does that sound so good? :-).

One scheme involves not binding data to addresses permanently, but rather
allocating addresses on a "as needed" basis.  Venues persist, the stuff in
them persist, but the paths for data between peers are created when there
are peers and destroyed when peers are not present.

Then a virtual network layer (we don't care how it does it, just that it
does it well) provides connectivity among peers.  This leads to some very
interesting possibilities for network solutions to things like bridging,
asymmetric network paths, multicast issues, etc.

--Ivan