[AG-TECH] Real Time Music Collaboration

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 09:40:51 CST 2002

You are right that neither method 1 or 2 lends itself to jam
sessions, as the essence of them is that the musicians can
hear each other, and the latency of the AG means that by the time
they do hear, it's too late to contribute!

If there's a method 3 that deals with this, that would be great.

The only classical piece that almost lends itself to jam tactics
that I can think of is "In C" by Terry Riley.  I heard it once
about 12 years ago done by 8 musicians.  Each has the same set of
fragments, numbered.  Against a 'metronome' of the top two Cs on
the piano at about 120 bpm (from memory), each player starts
playing fragment 1 in a loop when they feel like it.  Whenever
they wish they move to fragment 2.  When all players have done
all the fragments (there are about 58 IIRC) the piece ends.
(Any resemblance to the instructions for a Caucus Race in Lewis
Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" are purely fortuitous!).

Whether Terry Riley would approve of a rendering in which the
interactions between the players were reduced, I don't know.
For a long time he was living in California - someone may know
where he is these days.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]