[AG-TECH] Real Time Music Collaboration

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 07:07:19 CST 2002

I see, by looking back at an e-mail I sent last week, that I
rather buried two possible solutions to the latency problem.
May I restate them, as I think they have some mileage...

Method 1 - "Audio Conductor"

One site produces in effect an augmented click track, with enough
of the melody for people not to get lost.  This goes to all
players, who just listen to this and play in time with it.
Hence the term "audio conductor".  All feeds from the players
go to one site, which retimes them individually, having worked
out which node is last to arrive.  This site then rebroadcasts
the resulting mix to everyone but only the listeners, not the
players, listen to it.  This is rather like an orchestra doing
the score for a film, each listening to parts of what is
happening on headphones.

Method 2 - "Round Robin"

One site lays down a bed for the piece - maybe a drum track.
A second node listens to this and plays (=adds) their player(s)'s
contributions.  This feed goes to the third playing node, which
does likewise.  The feed from the n'th node (if n nodes are playing)
is the one that all the listening nodes listen to.  Typically the
n'th node will be the vocals (if the piece is pop/folk/rock/vocal).
This is rather similar to the multi-layer approach taken by
groups that do the drums in LA, the guitars in London and
the vocals in the Seychelles, by lugging a 24-track tape or
ProTools system around.

It has been pointed out to me over lunch that many classical
pieces (e.g. string quartets) cannot be done this way, as at
different times each of the instruments may lead the timing;
possibly a non-recorded harpsichord continuo would be appropriate
in this case!

The person who noted this is a classically trained cello player,
so I guess I can lob that in as a possible contribution from
here as well.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]