[AG-TECH] Information Society and Civil Society in Japan

jch at engineering.ucsb.edu jch at engineering.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 3 15:47:30 CDT 2002

We could use some participants to join us this Friday for a short
presentation about information and civil society in Japan.  Please let me
know if you would like to attend.

June 7 at 12:00 PST
Laurie Freeman, Department of Political Science

	Professor Freeman's talk will focus on several of the local (historical,
regulatory and technological) factors shaping
Internet development in Japan, and evaluate their potential impact on
Japanese democracy, especially their role in
the creation of an active, literate and participatory information and civil
society. I am planning on talking about two
cases and their potential impacts: 1.) strict government controls on
Internet use during electoral campaigns, and
2.) the rapid rise and diffusion of web-enabled cell phones.