[AG-TECH] upgrade questions

Darin Oman darin at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 26 13:45:49 CDT 2002

Hi,

We're thinking about upgrading our AG computers soon and any
documentation I can find discussing requirements is a bit outdated, so
I'm posting here for some suggestions. Some things I'm wondering:

Is it still necessary to go dual processor, or will a single processor,
say 2 GHz machine suffice?
Is 4 machines still the recommended way to go?
I'm not very experienced with Linux, so I'm not familiar with
compatibility issues. If, for example, we bought our machines from Dell
or Compaq, how difficult would my life be? Is it better to build from
scratch?
I know some people are using Win XP on their display and/or control
machines. Is it working OK?

Thanks in advance,

Darin Oman